Wednesday 20 June 2012

What is your writing method


So, recently I was asked what my method was for writing these stories of mine and how I come up with the things that fill them. My first thought was:  “You have to be a bit crazy to come up with this stuff...”  That would have been a good enough answer if I was trying to be funny or even flippant. But looking into the eyes of the two people starring at me expectantly, I knew instantly that that answer was not going to cut it. I lifted a glass of ice tea to my lips and took a long soothing sip. Don’t get me wrong, this was not a deliberate attempt on my part to create suspense, it was more a moment of:  “Holy crap, I haven’t been asked that before! How do I answer? Quick someone give me a cue card!”

I’m sure it’s not an easy thing for most writers to explain. This idea of method is so varied from individual to individual that one might as well try to fathom the method for each individual’s way of stringing words together in the manner they do when they speak or the method of their individual walking style. Each writer has his own way of expressing the worlds that occupy his/her mind.

That being said, here is a glimpse into my method: First, it must be said I am not formally trained in story telling or literature writing. What you get is the raw, completely unpolished story telling method that comes naturally to me. I vaguely remember writing a poem here, short story for school there, but nothing to the extent of the undertaking before me now. The stories are not preplanned. I do know the important events that will lead them to their conclusion, but I am exploring these worlds just as much as you would be when reading them. My profound answer to my friend’s question about my method was:  “The characters introduce themselves to me and tell their story. What they’ll tell me is dependent on their mood which will tell me what parts of the story they wish. Rather unreliable, right? So once I’ve been told the story, it’s them up to me to remember and write it down. Yes, they do correct me when I get it wrong. And no, I’m not crazy. …I think.”  

That response only served to bring more questions. They wanted clarification. “What do you mean the characters introduce themselves?” “Are they removed from you?” “Do you always remember what you’ve been told by the characters?” Again I sipped the ice tea. The short and long of it is that I have no concept of the characters until they are either introduced by others or introduce themselves. For me, each character you read in my stories is met in a manner no different from meeting a real live person - only I meet them in my head. It does sound like I need to go see some one that can examine my head at this point…

As for how often I meet these fantasy people and visit their strange worlds. Well, almost everyday, but as you know, the material to write with is not always at hand. Couple that with the fact that some of their stories don’t strike the right note as to be written and you’ll an indication of what it feels like. Much the same way you don’t say everything that comes to mind. Or do you?

Without giving too much more away, that’s pretty much all there is to it for me. Yes, I do often go back and refine certain parts once other parts that are further in the story have been told to me. Hindsight is 20:20 and I guess the same applies for when I write. As the stories unfold, parts of “past” events become clearer and I’m able to clarify the bits that have already been writen.

 There is much to be said on this topic and certainly a lot for me to learn. There are many well-seasoned writers out there and if you are one of them please drop me a line. I wish for you, my dear reader, to engage with me in a discussion about my writing. Who knows, we might both learn something.

That’s enough blah blah blah from me. If you are a writer, please share some of your methods or give feedback.

Till next time.

Nic. Out

8 comments:

  1. so how about some poetry? heard you good at that as wel...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello there! Sorry such a slow response, friend. First, thank you for the complement. I'm wondering where you heard about my poetry, but all good. Second and funny enough, I have been considering this for this month. I picked up my old poetry book two weeks ago and thought: "Maybe I should throw in a poem a month along with the 5 pages. Keep your eyes on the blog around the 20th of the month for the poem I have chosen.

      Delete
    2. a little birdie told me :)
      That would be great, I don't know if my previous post was published...
      P.S Compliment.. Dont let the spelling & Grammmer nazi's find you!

      Delete
    3. Those darn birdies... How is a person to keep things to themselves?

      I'll do my best with the spelling and grammar nazi's, but the joys of being a creative writer should hopefully allow for great leniency in that department.

      Thank you for engaging with me.

      Delete
    4. My Plesh... Yes I am gonna be hunted now!! HAHA
      I may need help with my ramblings one day.

      Mmmm, how does a person keep to themselves? Especially with Bird names like Piet my Vrou.
      The human race is doomed.

      Delete
  2. My plesh :) Yes, I just invented that word. Nazi's watch out!
    I may need help with my attempted ramblings one day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great, I look foward to it. I Shall be engaging non stop, just a heads up friend.
    I may need help with my ramblings one day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You already well on your way since you inventing some words of your own.

      I'm more than willing to help where I can. Let me know when you have started, I'm always up for more reading.

      Delete